Monday, March 4, 2013

Invitation Sketches

~*~
~*~
~*~
~*~
~*~

This assignment required me to sketch thumbnails for party invitations. I first would layout the frame of the thumbnail then move on to the design. I would choose an object or theme to base three or four thumbnails on and move along from there, alternating themes until I had completed all twenty thumbnails.

For all of my thumbnails I like how I varied each sketch and design and I also alternated from drawing them in a portrait layout to landscape (although most of the five I chose above happen to be in portrait format). I also liked how I would find a theme and use that theme to create new thumbnails. I would draw one then expand from those ideas to create a new but complimentary thumbnail (such as the cupcake theme). I also enjoyed the phrases II used on the front of the invitation which really gave them some character, such as "Light the candles, eat some cake...It's time to celebrate" or "You are invited to something sweet." I also provided details so that the images were clear but I did not make them overly complex or distractingly intricate. I kept them simple but pleasing and entertaining, they catch your eye but do not distract you.

On the other hand I probably could have drawn the frames for the thumbnails with a little more precision. This would have organized my ideas a little better. Additionally I maybe should have shaded some parts of the sketch to suggest the use of different colors and shade variety. Next time I will take more time to lay out the thumbnails and I will also work to shading more. Additionally I could have played around with using more fonts for the words to add some variety to the text.  


No comments:

Post a Comment